Did you know: Cod is one of the best things you can eat – it’s loaded with protein, high in healthy fatty acids (good for heart health), niacin (helps lower cholesterol) and Vitamin B12 (energy levels). When people view food they normally only look at the macronutrients behind it (protein, fat and carbohydrates) but what people don’t know is how important the micronutrients are, as well! Yes, cod is loaded with protein but it’s also full of tons of other amazingness that keeps our body healthy and prevention of chronic diseases (such as high blood pressure, heart conditions, diabetes, etc.). It’s important to know what you’re eating and even better, enjoying it!! I grilled the cod and paired this with grilled zucchini (you can saute this if you don’t have a grill) and blended it with a basil/avocado sauce. Total meal time: 15 mins. Delicious!!!
Ingredients (1 Serving – to make 2 servings double the ingredients below)
- 1 Cod Fish Filet
- 1/2 Large Zucchini
- 1/2 Avocado
- 1/4 Cup Water
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil Leaves
- 1/2 Lemon
- Salt/Pepper/Garlic Powder/Olive Oil
1. Turn your grill on and let heat for about 5 minutes.
2. Coat the Cod in olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder and a splash of fresh lemon juice. Let sit for a few minutues while you prepare the zucchini noodles.
3. With a julienne peeler or spiralizer, make your zucchini noodles. Fold a piece of tinfoil and place the zucchini noodles on the tinfoil and place on the grill for 5-8 minutes.
4. Combine avocado, water, lemon juice and basil in a blender (you can use a magic bullet, too!) and blend together.
5. Place the cod on the grill and cook 5-8 minutes depending on the size of the filet. Watch it! Once the fish starts to fall apart, that’s how you know it is cooked!
6. Remove the zucchini noodles from the grill and toss with the avocado sauce. Optional: dice cherry tomatoes and blend together!
7. Remove cod from the grill, place on top of the zucchini noodles and sprinkle a little more lemon juice – Dive in!!!
Great summer meal filled with everything you need – protein, healthy fats and loaded with micronutrients! Enjoy!!