Can you believe that it is already May? I can! My favorite season is upon us which means my grill is out from hibernation and ready for use! As most of you know, I do love my fruit salsa’s but this time I switched it up a bit and grilled all the ingredients. By grilling the ingredients briefly it oxidizes the nutrients in the food which gives the food more flavor, especially the sweetness in the pineapple. Did you know pineapple is considered a super food? Reason being, it contains high levels of Vitamin C, B Vitamins and Manganese which help in energy production. Pineapple also plays as a co-factor for fatty acids which help fight against cholesterol synthesis. Apart from being a super food and a favorite fruit, you can also eat this with just about any protein source – fish, beef, chicken or something as simply as homemade sweet potato chips – you name it, the salsa pairs well with just about anything. Perfect side dish for the upcoming holiday, Memorial day or a beautiful Spring night of grilling. Happy Eating!
Ingredients (Serves 5 cups):
- 1 Pineapple
- 1 Red Pepper
- 1/2 Medium Size Red Onion
- Handful Cilantro
- 1/2 teaspoon raw ginger
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1 Teaspoon Olive Oil
- Dash Salt
- Turn your grill on and leave on medium heat
- Cut your pineapple width wise into circles (peeling the fruit, first.), onion in 1/2 and red pepper into 4ths.
- Coat the pineapple, pepper and onion in olive oil and place on the grill. Cook on each side for 3 minutes.
- Cut the ingredients into squares and mix together in a bowl.
- Grate the raw ginger and blend together
- Squeeze fresh lemon juice and sprinkle with a dash of salt.
It’s as simple as that!! Enjoy!!