Happy New Year, everyone!! This is the month where everyone cuts out sugar, carbs and all the good things in life that we love the most; in an effort to get “back on track”. However, the carb cravings can still linger so here’s a GREAT, EASY recipe to try!
Growing up, homemade sauce, spg & meatballs was a weekly staple in our family. So, I am not shy to say I crave and love all things Italian. This was a fantastic substitute for your traditional spg and meatballs. I was shocked at how delicious this blend was together.
HERE is an informative video on how to spiralize your vegetables.
*FYI, If you do not have a spiralizer, you can purchase carrot and zucchini “spg” in Whole Foods.
Ingredients: (4 Servings)
- 4 Large Carrots, spiralized
- 4 Large Zucchini, spiralized
- 1 Package Sweet Italian Sausage (or chicken)
- 1 24oz Rao’s Sauce (or your own homemade sauce!)
- Olive Oil
- *Optional: Sheep’s Milk Romano or Fresh Shaved Parm
- Heat a sauce pan with olive oil and place sausage. Cook on each side 2-3 minutes until all sides are browned.
- In a large sauce pan, heat tomato sauce and add sausage when browned on each side.
- In a large skillet, coat with olive oil and sautee carrots and zucchini for 5-6 minutes. *Note: You do not want to cook these too much. They become soggy (uck!). So sautee them just enough so they are a little soft but still “al dente”.
- In a bowl, place carrot & zucchini spg, top with sausage and sauce.
- Optional: Sprinkle sheeps milk romano or fresh shaved parm.