I hope you all are staying healthy and fit during this wild quarantine. It’s been a crazy time for everyone but it’s important to circle back and identify what is most important during this time. Your health, your family, your happiness and delicious clean eats!
Craving comfort food and sweets during this time is a normal emotion. We are all staying home (you better be!) and looking for things that make us happy. Food = love. Creating healthy eats that feed the soul is absolutely essential right now.
I am a big breakfast person. Honestly, I could eat breakfast all day and be A-OKAY with it. I may be one of the healthiest people I know, but I am human and CRAVE things that feed my soul, like chocolate walnut scones. 😉
I’ve never made scones so I had to do some research to find a few recipes and create a recipe that is “dailydiehl” approved. I won’t deny it took a few trials but I finally got it!! These are so easy to make, gut friendly and delicious. To be honest, if I fed you these scones, you’d never know they were made with rice flour and not white flour. So, so yummy!
If you’re craving sweets and comfort foods during this time, it’s OK to feel that. You’re entitled to feel alllll the emotions right now. Just make sure you are TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF. This is a prime time to do so.
Remember this phase will fizzle out, but in the meantime make yourself some delicious scones, stay fit and healthy! Enjoy, all!
INGREDIENTS: Makes 6 Scones
- 1 1/2 Cup Gluten Free Flour (I use King Arthur with no xantham gum)
- 1 Cup Raw Oats
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/3 Cup Organic Coconut Sugar
- 3 Tablespoon Kerrigold Grass-Fed Butter, room temperature (or coconut oil)
- 1 Vanilla Extract
- 1/4 Cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1 Egg, room temperature
- 1/3 Cup Walnuts, diced into little pieces
- 1/2 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips
Note: You can make these with any fillers you’d like – blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, etc. Use the same measurement as the chocolate chips.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees (180c)
- Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease sheet with butter to avoid sticking.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix butter and sugar together well using a hand whisk or hand mixer.
- Add egg and mix well.
- Add almond milk, vanilla extract and mix well.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, and mix well.
- Stir in the oats, mix well.
- Add walnuts, chocolate chips and fold into the batter using a spatula.
- Pour the dough onto a cutting board.
- Use your hands to bind the dough together, flatten and shape into a circle. (make sure top and side are smooth and even).
- Cut the dough into 6 pieces. Start with cutting a straight line through the middle, then dice the 1/2’s into 3rds.
- Brush the top with a little almond milk and sprinkle of coconut sugar.
- Bake for 20-24 minutes or until the center is firm to touch. (You can also use a toothpick to stick in the middle – if hard/no raw dough, they’re cooked! Timing depends on your oven, so check these around the 20 minute mark.)
I recommend adding a little strawberry fruit spread with these to make them extra delicious!