Every Thanksgiving my Mom would make a homemade apple sauce that was – and still is – hands down the best apple sauce I’ve ever had. Using her recipe as an inspiration, I have modified it to be a tad healthier while maintaining deliciousness!
We’ve entered a season where there is an abundance of apples because they are in season and soooo delicious! If you’re making plans to go apple picking (you definitely should!), and you’re not sure what to do with all the extra apples, here’s a great recipe to try!
- 5 McIntosh Apples
- 3 Tablespoons Coconut Sugar
- 1/2 Cup Water
- Juice of 1 Lemon
- 1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1/4 Teaspoon All Spice
- Peel your apples and cut into 1/4 inch chunks.
- In a bowl, combine apples, coconut sugar, water, lemon juice, cinnamon, and all spice.
- Pour all ingredients into a large sauce pan and heat on medium heat. Bring to a soft boil and then simmer to low heat stirring occasionally.
- Boil the apples down until soft.
- Using a potato masher, mash the apples.
- Let cool and store in the refrigerator for 3-5 days.