Pesto is one of my favorite things to eat. However, you can create pesto’s beyond the traditional basil. Herbs are the best because of their herbal medicine properties, they add so much flavor to all foods, and they’re inexpensive. Win/win all around!
This month I ran my 30 Day Get Healthy challenge and this recipe was a major hit with my participants. So much that some participants made this multiple times throughout the weeks. This recipe is a 30 minute or less recipe and delicious. Enjoy, ya’ll!
INGREDIENTS: 4 SERVINGS
- 1/4 Cup Olive Oil
- 4 Scallions
- 2 Tablespoon Mint Leaves, chopped
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Basil
- 1/2 Cup Fresh Parsley
- 2 Garlic Cloves
- Juice of 2 Limes
SHRIMP & COUSCOUS
- 1 1/2lb Shrimp
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 4 Cups Zucchini, diced
- 2 Cups Mushrooms, diced
- 1 1/2 Cups Whole Wheat Couscous
- 1/4 Cup Fresh Basil
- 2 Tablespoon Red Wine Vinegar
- Sea Salt/Pepper
- In a food processor or blender, place all the herb sauce ingredients and blend well.
- Pour ½ the herbal sauce over the shrimp in a bowl and let marinate.
- Cook the couscous according to the packaging directions.
- Heat a large pan with olive oil and add zucchini. Cook 8-10 minutes or until edges are brown.
- Add cooked zucchini with the cooked couscous. Add olive oil, basil, and red wine vinegar. Toss well. Add salt/pepper to taste.
- In a large pan – or on the grill – Cook the shrimp until they turn pink – about 2 minutes per side. Toss the cooked shrimp with remaining herbal sauce and service with zucchini couscous.
Note: This recipe makes about 4 servings – use a measuring cup to evenly divide each serving.